Re: cjk support on unix is broken

Subject: Re: cjk support on unix is broken
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 16:26:13 CDT

> > I want to know if the new font handling mechanism also works
for
> > ttf fonts with more than 255 glyphs? It seems the encoding.h for
> > ttftool only supports font with 255 glyphs.

It does work with fonts that contain more than 255 glyphs, for
instance under utf-8; the encoding vectors that are contained in the
ttftool's encoding.h are used in the type 42 font to map characters
0-255 to a unicode value, and the PS interpreter uses this to
translate the characters that are directly present in the PS output
to the appropriate value. Since the the PS file is a single-byte file, it
makes no sense to add more values to these vectors. To support a
charset that contains more than 255 characters, you either have to
refer to the glyphs by their name (which is what we do with utf-8) or
have multiple encoding vectors and keep switching them. (It is
possible that there are other ways to handle cjk in PS, though)

> > Also,file size of normal Chinese TT fonts are in the range of 3MB-10+MB.
> > Is it feasible to convert the fonts into type42 and embed in .ps
> > files?
You do not have to embed fonts in the PS output, there is a
checkbox in the
print dialogue that turns that off (this assumes though, that your PS interpreter
knows where to find those fonts).

I am not sure why the display/printing is not working with cjk, if I
recall, I left all the cjk font handling as it was. Unfortunately, I will
not be able to work on Abi in the next three weeks, so if someone
else could look into this, I would appreciate it.

Tomas