Re: Styles again.

Subject: Re: Styles again.
From: David Chart (linux@dchart.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 03:27:24 CDT

--On 13/5/01 12:19 +1000 Martin Sevior wrote:

> I think this can be fixed in the backend but the question is should this
> be the default behaviour or should it be a new type of style? Should we
> have "Paragraph Overlay" and "Character Overlay" type styles that only
> apply the definitions present to the text,leaving all else untouched?

I like the idea of overlay styles, but they should be a new type of style.
The whole point of a style is that it fixes the formatting of the text.
Thus, it should change everything about the text to match the style.

Also, I don't think you should be able to delete essential properties from
a style. A style should always have a font type, size, justification, and
so on. It should be clear to the user what a style will do, and dragging up
the defaults hard-wired into the program is not clear behaviour.

Gosh, I actually have clear opinions on this. ;-)

(BTW, the Modify Styles dialog is broken in the latest version I can pull
from CVS, but I haven't been able to connect to bugzilla to report it. (Or
to CVS to see if it's still the case.) It gets stuck in asserting when I
try to open it; around 45,000 asserts when it doesn't freeze entirely.
LinuxPPC GNOME.)

David Chart