Re: Styles again.

Subject: Re: Styles again.
From: Mike Nordell (tamlin@algonet.se)
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 21:56:07 CDT

Martin Sevior wrote:

> I would like to open another debate about styles again. Right now
> if a property is not defined in a style it gets set to the default
> value.

Which initially seems quite reasonable.

> Consequently if I delete the font-family property in a style and
> apply it to a paragraph, the paragraph gets it's font-family set to "Times
> New Roman".

If you apply a Style without any "font-family" property to a Paragraph, that
Paragraph should *absolutely* retain it's "font-family" property. Void or
not, it should be retained.

[...]
> Opinions please! My present inclination is to make styles only affect
> properties defined in the style

Which is the right thing to do.

> but I'm sure the Abi designers had their
> reasons for doing things the way they did.

We have all gained quite a bit of experience in the last year(s), haven't
we?
It's also acknowledged that the original authors weren't 100% about some
design decisions that indeed made it into the code.

/Mike