Re: Locale questions

Subject: Re: Locale questions
From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (huftis@bigfoot.com)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 15:21:29 CDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Dunbar" <hippietrail@yahoo.com>
To: "abiword-dev" <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2001 2:44 PM
Subject: Locale questions

> Thirdly, what's the correct format for our locales?

'lc-cc'

where 'lc' is the ISO 639-1 (two-letter) language codes, and 'cc' is the ISO
3166 country code.

> Posix uses
> "la_TE.ENC@mod" language, TErritory, ENCoding, modifier - where
> modifier is often "euro" or "nynorsk" in Norway's case.

And this is is a *terrible* convention. The encoding *should* IMNSHO be
completely separate from the locale. E.g, in Solaris, all the following locale
codes are used for Swedish:

sv
sv.ISO8859-15
sv.UTF-8
sv_SE
sv_SE.ISO8859-1
sv_SE.ISO8859-15
sv_SE.ISO8859-15@euro
sv_SE.UTF-8
sv_SE.UTF-8@euro

As you can see, it's a mess.

> We seem to just use "la-TE" - do we use the modifier field?

No. We use the language identification as defined in RFC 1766, not the Posix
format. This seems to work very well for locales, since most locales (and *all*
locales used in AbiWord) is just a combination of language and country.

> How do we handle the two versions of Norwegian.

Norwegian Nynorsk and Norwegian Bokmål *has* two separate ISO 639-1 language
codes, 'nn' and 'nb', respectively. We use 'nn-NO' for Nynorsk and 'nb-NO' for
Bokmål.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer