Re: HELP WANTED -- release testers for AbiWord

Subject: Re: HELP WANTED -- release testers for AbiWord
From: Alan Keefer (akeefer@stanford.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 04:22:32 CDT

At 02:36 PM 8/31/2001 -0700, Paul Rohr wrote:
>So far, the following people have volunteered to be testers:
>
> Win32 Randy Kramer, Alan Keefer
> Mandrake 8 Alan Keefer
>
>For details, see:

> (Alan's post doesn't seem to have made it to the archives)

I think my original message might have bounced from the list for some
reason (since I subscribed using a different e-mail client from the one I'm
using at the moment, which I have now attempted to re-configure), so here's
the original message that I sent to the list. I should also add that I
should soon (once I find some time to do it) have both Windows 2000 and Win
98, so I can test any win32 binaries to make sure that they work on both
Windows variants. Here's the original message:

I'll volunteer to test standard win32 builds, and to test any of the Linux
builds that are compatible with my Linux setup (Mandrake 8.0 at the moment,
though that will probably be changing once I get back to school in two
weeks or so). I'm new to the project, obviously (I've been lurking on the
last for the last couple of months to try to get a feel for everything, and
won't really have a chance to delve into the source code until I start
school again), so I'd need some help devising some sort of
checklist/testing procedure, but I'm willing to spend the time necessary to
do a thorough job.

Since I'm new to this project, I figure I might as well introduce myself
briefly. I'm a philosophy/cs student going into my senior year at Stanford
University, though I'll probably stay through a fifth year and end up with
a BA in philosophy and an MS in computer science. I'm also writing a
thesis on the ethics of open source software (though I'm not entirely sure
what sort of ground that will end up covering) in the philosophy
department, for what that's worth. In any case I started using AbiWord to
write all my philosophy papers at the end of last year, and I liked it so
much I figured I ought to help out.

-Alan Keefer