Re: [owner-abiword-dev@abisource.com: BOUNCE abiword-dev@abisource.com: Non-member submission from [Dmitriy Kostiuk <dk@fromru.com>]]

Subject: Re: [owner-abiword-dev@abisource.com: BOUNCE abiword-dev@abisource.com: Non-member submission from [Dmitriy Kostiuk ]]
From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Sep 02 2001 - 05:57:42 CDT

 --- Sam TH <sam@uchicago.edu> wrote: >

> sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu ---
> http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
> OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC ---
> http://samth.dyndns.org/key
> DeCSS: http://samth.dynds.org/decss
>

> ATTACHMENT part 1.2 message/rfc822
> To: abiword-dev-approval@abisource.com
> From: owner-abiword-dev@abisource.com
> Subject: BOUNCE abiword-dev@abisource.com:
> Non-member submission from [Dmitriy Kostiuk
> <dk@fromru.com>]
> Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 23:21:06 -0500 (CDT)
>
> >From owner-abiword-dev@abisource.com Fri Aug 31
> 23:21:06 2001
> Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 08:22:53 +0400 (MSD)
> From: Dmitriy Kostiuk <dk@fromru.com>
> To: abiword-dev@abisource.com
> Subject: Encoding in cyrillic .abw documents
>
> Hello All,
>
> I have both Linux (static) and Windows
> versions
> of Abi 0.9.2.
> And it was just noticed that they produce
> Cyrillic documents in
> different encoding. Linux version saves KOI8-R
> -
> the most
> widely spread one for *nix systems - and
> that's
> OK. But Windows
> version saves Russian words in some fantastic
> encoding which is
> recognized by nothing but Win-Abi itself.
>
> The worst thing is that .abw document saved
> under Windows is
> unreadable under Linux and vice versa.
>
> Some inner voice says to me that such
> situation
> is not normal :)
> and that there is some faultness in one of my
> systems.
>

> Am I right?

What encoding is being used is (or should be)
determined by your OS locale. This is your
environment
variables in Linux and certain OS calls in Windows.
This should mean that the Windows version is using
its Cyrillic "code page" - sorry I can't remember the
number. This is standard for all Windows everywhere.
Please check by saving plain text files and loading
them with other Windows apps. Can you tell us which
version of Windows you are using, and which language
is your Windows's native language? It would also help
if you got hold of a debug build of AbiWord. There is
some debug output which tells us a lot about the
environment and encodings etc. Also, which document
formats are you having trouble with? .abw always uses
UTF-8 so those documents should transfer no problem.
If you are using plain text, you might want to try the
"Encoded Text" importers and importers and select the
"Windows Code Page xxx" and/or "KOI-8" encodings
manually and see how successful you are.

In short, Windows uses a different encoding than Unix
for Cyrillic.

Andrew Dunbar.

=====
http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net