Re: postscript output from command line

Subject: Re: postscript output from command line
From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela (cuenca@pacaterie.u-psud.fr)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 13:56:20 CDT

Yes, you're right in your assumption.

Short answer:

You can do it right now.

Long answer:

There is a short cut if you're under unix that you may try:

(if you're using the gnome version of abiword, you should use --to,
elsewhere use -to)

abiword file.doc --to latex && latex file.ltx && dvips file.dvi -o file.ps

The disavantage is that you are limited to the capatibilities of the latex
exporter (mainly that means that you lost the font information, WYSIWYG,
lists, headers, footers, you will have numbers added to your headings, etc.)
That looks pretty bad, but usually you the output it's ok.

Another option will be using the perl bindings, but I think that I've not
yet written a wrapper around the print functions. If you're interesed in
this way, just let me know, and I will add print capatibilities to the perl
bindings.

The disavantage is that you need to compile yourself the source code, as we
don't yet provide binaries with the perl bindings, and that if you get all
working, you will see a "AbiWord flicker" (as the perl bindings needs to
open the document, and write the .ps file, and close the main window).

I've just searched with google for "rtf2ps" and I've seen a conversor at
http://oss.ezic.com/

So maybe you can just install it (it's *very* little) and do:

abiword file.doc --to rtf && rtf2ps file.rtf file.ps

I've never tested it, but it may do the work.

Cheers,