Re: Unix Font Packs for non-Latin1 locales

Subject: Re: Unix Font Packs for non-Latin1 locales
From: Theppitak Karoonboonyanan (thep@links.nectec.or.th)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 00:30:46 CDT

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 11:03:36AM +0100, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

> A while back we have agreed on the list that it would be good to
> provide font packs for non-Latin1 locales, to make it easier for
> people to use AW, but nothing has materialised. I feel really
> strongly that we need to do this, I am convinced that we are
> already loosing potential users who are put off by having to make
> their way through the Unix font mess. Certainly a set of font packs
> for the most common locales is, I think, an absolute must before ve
> release 1.0.

I can provide you a Thai free font from our local Linux distribution.

But before that, basic input/output support for Thai should be ready
first. Putting aside those elegant rendering topics, such as Pango
and word iterators for the time being, a tolerable Thai support
can be achieved just like a European language, such as Greek.
(You may know, iso-8859-11 for Thai is on the way to become
international standard in the same series.)

With the patches I posted in bugs #1850, #1857, #1858, and with
some tricks on turning off RemapGlyphsMasterSwitch I got from this
list not long ago, now I can use Thai in AW at some degree, under
th_TH.TIS-620 locale.

However, as I stated in the bug issues, I'm not sure about some
of my patches (esp. #1850) if it's a correct way to do. It would
be a very great benefit to Thai users if the topics metioned above
could be resolved. (Maybe, before 0.9.3 for the three bugs?)

Then, I can provide a Thai font for AW, leaving more complicated
issues to the future.

Regards,
-Thep.

--