Re: tinderbox hosts

Subject: Re: tinderbox hosts
From: Michael D. Pritchett (mpritchett@attglobal.net)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 19:18:23 CDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Colvin" <jimcolvin@prodigy.net>
Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2001 2:35 AM

> I have a p3-450 running Win 98 with a dsl connection that I would like to
> volunteer as a tinderbox host. I have MSVC6 standard edition (not
professional).
> I did a cvs checkout of the 0.9.3 source tonight, and it builds
successfully
> using Cygwin 1.1.8.
>
> I see several potential problems. My dsl connection doesn't have a fixed
ip
> address. Also this machine is on a lan behind a Linksys Cable/DSL Router.
The
> router does a lot of ip packet filtering although this is configurable. I
run
> the ZoneAlarm software firewall on all of my computers including this one.
> Finally, I know nothing about perl. How does one run perl scripts on
Windows?

> Let me know if I can help and what I have to do.

Jim -

Win98 is a special case. It needs both Perl and Python. Python is used as
it has a decent mailer library so that the logs that are created are mailed
directly to AbiWord. As we are using standard mail port - most filrewall's
won't mind, but you will have to allow Python access to the Internet. You
can get both Active Perl and Active Python for you system.

I am working on the scripts so that instead of running a single shell
process, I use the Task Scheduler with a couple of .bat files to automate
the process. When I have finish them, I'll be happy to send them along to
you if you are interested.

Cheers!

Michael D. Pritchett