Re: Unix Font Packs for non-Latin1 locales

Subject: Re: Unix Font Packs for non-Latin1 locales
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 09:22:47 CDT

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> > > their way through the Unix font mess. Certainly a set of font packs
> > > for the most common locales is, I think, an absolute must before ve
> > > release 1.0.
> >
> > I agree. The best way to this is via rpm's. We should be able to make
> > small modifications to Gabriel's ispell hash spec files to build these
> > font packs.
> What is the advangtage of using rpm's over a simple tgz archive in
> this case? This really is just a tar-ed directory, and the tgz format
> is about as portable as it gets.

1. The rpm unpacks to exactly the right directory without user
intervention.

2. The rpm can run post installation scripts to set all all the
permissions correctly without user intervention.

3. We can more easily maintain our fonts by just asking users to upgrade
to later versions.

All the user has to do is

rpm -ivh abiword-russian-fonts-0.1.rpm

And it is all done.