Re: Cyrillic in AW documents

Subject: Re: Cyrillic in AW documents
From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 06:03:54 CDT

 --- d.k@softhome.net wrote: >
> Hello Vlad,
>
> Sunday, September 02, 2001, 6:51:44 PM, you wrote:
>
> VH> Also please post a document saved by Win AW
> (with a few russian
> VH> words in it).
>
> Now I've found what encoding is used in it. It is
> not chimera, as I
> have written earlier, but Unicode UTF-8. I'm sorry
> for didn't
> recognize it initially (forgot to check it).
> However,
> the question is still here - Linux and Windows
> builds are producing
> incompatible documents.

Actually, my understanding is that .abw documents are
*always* in UTF-8 encoding. At the top of any XML
document the encoding must be declared if it is
something other than UTF-8. We do not declare
anything
in the document you posted. Therefore AbiWord on any
platform should correctly interpret this as a UTF-8
encoded .abw document and have no problem. It seems
you have uncovered a genuine bug. Sadly I don't have
a development system right now or I would love to look
into it further. I hope Vlad and the guys can find
the problem.

> And win AW can't read Linux-saved documents in
> Russian.
>
> In any case win AW document is here.
>
> VH> Also, it seems your locale when you run
> WindowMaker is horribly
> VH> broken (it seems AW thinks it's iso-8859-1).
> What value it's set to
> VH> ($LANG,$LC_CTYPE) when you run WindowMaker?
>
> The results for GNOME and for WindowMaker are
> identical. Echo
> returns ru for $LANG and nothing for $LC_CTYPE (and
> nothing for
> $LC_ALL too). Is it bad? It seems that $LANG must be
> ru_RU.KOI8-R, but
> AW works just with ru...

I'm not a *nix locale expert but I'm pretty sure you
should be setting the encoding as part of the locale.
If this isn't necessary then AbiWord needs code to
choose default encodings for each language on each
platform which sounds unreasonable to me. I think you
must get rid the "just ru" even though AbiWord half
works with this setting.

Maybe we should show a dialog on *nix if the locale
settings seem broken?

Andrew Dunbar.

=====
http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net