RTF Importer/Exporter

Subject: RTF Importer/Exporter
From: Matti Picus (matti@picus.org)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 14:53:09 CDT

Please see my comments interspersed with yours

>You wrote:
>We really MUST have 100% lossless RTF import/export for 1.0.
>What's left?
>1. Finish import of Word >97 lists. There are still issues with displaying
>delimeters and sublists on different word levels.

Can you provide more detail? Are there test documents that fail, or bugs
related to this item?

>2. Implement styles import/export. This should be easier now that we allow
>edittable builtin styles. All used styles should be exported to RTF.

I looked at importing styles, and found the line
TODO Ignore stylesheet as ABIWord doesn't do styles (at the moment)
Questions on implementation:
A. Does another importer successfully import styles?
B. Help me with the function argument
    pt_PieceTable::appendStyle(char ** attributes)
    where attributes is a name,value stirng pairing:
    name - Style name that appears in dialog box
    type - ??? "P" seems to be common
    basedon - style parent
    followedby - next paragraph, had the value "Current Settings"
    props - ??? what are valid values, is there
               documentation? I understand the
               DTD is out of date...

>3. DO Word 97 list export and multi-level list export to RTF < Word 97.
>4. Do RTF header export.
>5. I think the Lang keyword is not implemented yet.

This applies a language characterisitc to a run. What is the AbiWord
equivalent?

>If endnotes are finished they should be exported/imported too.

Is there an interface to use endnotes as word-type comments with tool-tips?
Is there an alternative method to view endnote values when the cursor is on
an endnote?

Thanks,
Matti