Re: imagemagick graphics importing

Subject: Re: imagemagick graphics importing
From: Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 09:29:30 CDT

At 09:11 PM 9/9/2001 +1000, Martin Sevior wrote:
>2. Do you provide a fork of the ImageMagic source code to be included as
>an abiword peer directory, (like wv).

         Unlike the other libraries we link against, making IM a "peer" of
AbiWord would be a BAD IDEA. Dom and I were dealing with this issue
ourselves this week at work (where we use IM for stuff and considering
adding it to our source tree).

         The issue is that the ImageMagick builds are pretty different on
each platform. For example, when you get the tarball/CVS for Unix, it's
ONLY the core IM code, since it assumes that you've either pre-installed
imaging libraries (libpng, libjpeg, etc.) or you can later install
them. While on Windows and Mac OS, the code for those libraries is
actually included in the IM hierarchy and built directly from there.

>4. Do you implement the SVG and other vector graphics formats that
>ImageMagic does?

         Yes, it would. But you'll get back a raster image. Unless you
know what you are doing with IM (and yes, I do ;), getting back vector data
isn't possible.

LDR