Re: bidi question

Subject: Re: bidi question
From: Dom Lachowicz (dominicl@seas.upenn.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 11:18:24 CDT

Quoting Tomas Frydrych <tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net>:

> I have spent the past couple of days on replacing the present
> propriatery bidi algorithm with fribidi library. The initial results are
>
> very encouraging and I am ready to commit the changes, but
> before I do so, there are couple of issues:

Great news!

> (1) fribidi uses glib internally; do we have glib available on non-Unix
> systems? (there is a way around it, just need to know what the
> case is)

I do *not* want to add a Glib dependency to AbiWord quite yet. A while back I
shrunk down and rewrote a chunk of Glib for use within wv. If you can use wv's
Glib port, please try to do that.

> (2) I have got the Unix and xp makefiles, but some small changes
> to other platform specific makefiles will be needed.

This isn't a problem.

> (3) I currently build our, reduced, version of fribidi; I had to make
> some small changes, which mean we cannot use standard fribidi
> library at the moment; I will see if I could get these changes
> incorrporated into the official library, in which case we could use an
> external one where available.

See if you can convince Dov to accept your changes upstream. I'd prefer if we
had libfrbidi as a external library and remove our internal "copy".

Dom