Re: Suggestion: ugly Hack or subtle hint?

Subject: Re: Suggestion: ugly Hack or subtle hint?
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 01:32:39 CDT

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Mike Nordell wrote:

> Alan wrote:
> >
> > Mike Nordell wrote:
> [...]
> > > Why is this even a problem?
> >
> > users want to be able to save as .doc, abiword does not currently
> > support .doc
>
> Well I would never, personally, stand behind a decision to save RTF as .
> doc. But, if the majority of users are as ignorant as it seems from these
> posting, maybe we just have to cave in to the pressure. I will never like it
> (or accept it, since it _is_ a lie), but if "the market" turns out to be so
> ignorant, what other choices do we have?
>
> Perhaps the choice of truth?
>
> "Save as Word (rtf)"

I like this idea. If a user sends an rtf file to someone with MS Word
installed it will appear as an MS Word icon in the directory. Also for
a user who has no idea of file formats this statement could be interpreted
to mean any word processor. Just about all word processors can read RTF.

Cheers

Martin