Re: Abiword Crashes while not active

Subject: Re: Abiword Crashes while not active
From: Mike Nordell (tamlin@algonet.se)
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 23:17:39 CDT

Randy Kramer wrote:

> I get far too many Abiword crashes when I have AbiWord open but have the
> another window (application) open over the AbiWord window.
[...]
> AbiWord.exe: 0xC0000005: Access Violation".
>
> The PC (Program Counter, I guess that's what you'd call it) is pointing
> to address BFF76D7 which is an "int 3" instruction.

That address seems invalid.

Without access to some debug info, map-file or stuff like that, a stack
trace wouldn't usually help much either (at least not without several hours
of disassembly).

Note to Win32 builders: When building Win32 Release, some sort of debug info
should also be generated for the same exe. PDB, DBG and/or a simple
map-file. It should probably not be "shipped" with the binary, but it should
be available for download to be able to look at a stack trace and get an
idea of where it crashed.

> I'll leave the debugger in this condition for a little while in case
> somebody writes back with a question. If I can't answer your question
> this time, I'll try to check it out on the next occurrence.

If you can provide a stack-trace for the current thread and any other
threads in the app, and a pointer to the exact same binary, I'll try to have
a look at it (though post-mortem by disassembly is a bit time-consuming
:-) ).

/Mike