Abiword Crashes while not active

Subject: Abiword Crashes while not active
From: Randy Kramer (rhkramer@fast.net)
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 10:49:15 CDT

I get far too many Abiword crashes when I have AbiWord open but have the
another window (application) open over the AbiWord window. I may be
working in that other application, or I may have walked away from the
computer.

I'm working with small AbiWord documents (sometimes as little as 10
words), and may experiment with applying headings, cutting and pasting,
or whatever. It's happened at least 5 times over the last week, with
versions 0.9.3, 0.9.3.1, 0.9.4pre, and 0.9.4pre1.

I tend to have a lot of applications open, and sometimes work close to
the limits of my memory. (I guess I'm assuming that the problem is
memory leaks, but I don't really know.)

This last time, AbiWord crashed with the "This application has performed
an illegal instruction and will be shut down." (That's typical.)

I started the debugger, and it tells me "Unhandled exception in
AbiWord.exe: 0xC0000005: Access Violation".

The PC (Program Counter, I guess that's what you'd call it) is pointing
to address BFF76D7 which is an "int 3" instruction.

I'm running the standard application, not the debug version.

I'll leave the debugger in this condition for a little while in case
somebody writes back with a question. If I can't answer your question
this time, I'll try to check it out on the next occurrence.

Randy Kramer