XML and Styles: Best location for attributes?

Subject: XML and Styles: Best location for attributes?
From: Randy Kramer (rhkramer@fast.net)
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 12:19:43 CDT

I'm just starting to learn XML, but I'm assuming that it is better to
keep most of the attributes of a style within the <styles> tag rather
than repeating them for each paragraph. (I see this as helpful to keep
the document clean and readable, not only for a human that might try to
read it, but also to make it easier for AbiWord to handle.)

As I mentioned in another post, I am starting to test with a text editor
open so I can see the effect of changes in AbiWord on the saved AbiWord
file. I'm doing this partly because I assume that the XML I see there
is representative of AbiWord's "state of mind". Is there a simple
alternative to view something which might be more representative, like
the piece table?

Am I missing something in thinking that most of the attributes for a
style should be in the <style> tags and not repeated in each paragraph?
If not, I will begin submitting some bugs or rfe's on that basis.

Randy Kramer