Re: Bulleted Lists in Windows

Subject: Re: Bulleted Lists in Windows
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 18:53:58 CDT

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, David Mandelin wrote:

> I'm running the latest from CVS on Win2k. Most of the bulleted list
> styles don't work. For example, if I try "Diamond List", I get a
> copyright symbol as the bullet.
>
> Is this just a problem with my setup?
>
> I was trying to check the source, but I couldn't find it. I found the
> builtin styles in pt_PT_Styles.cpp, but I can't figure out how the
> bullet character is set.
>
> Can anyone tell me at least what file to look in? Thanks.

Hi David,
         This is caused by the mismatch between the unix font set
"Dingbats" and the windows font "windings". As as I can tell,
"Dingbats" is not a font that is normally distributed with windows.

Many of the bullet type symbols are 8 bit numbers designed to work for
Dingbats.

The font of list labels is set with the "field-font" property. The value
"NULL" means use the font of the preceding text.

The values of the bullet type list labels are hard-wired in the method
fl_AutoNum::_getLabelStr(...) in the class fl_AutoNum.cpp.

I can think of several solutions to the bullet type problem.

1. Find a free version of a TrueType font "Dingbats" and distribute it
with abi for windows users. If there is a free Type 1 => TrueType
conversion program somewhere, you could use use the "Dingbats" font that
is distributed with the unix version of abiword.

2. Put in some "#ifdefs" to change the font for the Dingbat fonts and
glyphs to something equivalent for Windows. This has the unfortunate
consequence that *.abw generated on unix != *.abw on windows.

3. Instead of 8 bit glyph code use unicode for the glyph numbers. This
will work fine for Windows but will require a fair bit of work on unix to
implement for abiword < 1.0. The unix guys will have to manipulate
"remapGlyphs" to translate the Unicode Dingbat values to 8 bit codes and
Dingbat or symbol glyphs. This might make all abiword a bit slower for
unix. I can do this work if needed.

Anyway, have a look at the code, what do you think is best?

Other opinions welcome.

Cheers

Martin