RE: Bulleted Lists in Windows

Subject: RE: Bulleted Lists in Windows
From: Alistair Vining (alistair.vining@ntlworld.com)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 09:36:30 CDT

> 1. Find a free version of a TrueType font "Dingbats" and distribute it
> with abi for windows users. If there is a free Type 1 => TrueType
> conversion program somewhere, you could use use the "Dingbats" font that
> is distributed with the unix version of abiword.

Monotype Sorts comes with some MS software on Windows; Zapf Dingbats BT (from
Bitstream) with software from other vendors. I doubt [checks... no] either of these
have Unicode mappings. But all the glyphs (characters, 'spose, here) of Zapf
Dingbats are in Unicode: U+2700 -- U+27FF.

> 3. Instead of 8 bit glyph code use unicode for the glyph numbers. This
> will work fine for Windows but will require a fair bit of work on unix to
> implement for abiword < 1.0. The unix guys will have to manipulate

I wonder if it will work on Windows, even though it's the right way to go, if the
fonts don't have Unicode mappings.

Al.