Re: New Splash Screen?

Subject: Re: New Splash Screen?
From: Alan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 12:21:29 CDT

Sorry for the previous rant, im waiting to see whether or not im getting
kicked out of University after 3 years, and its put me in a seriously
crap mood.

Dom Lachowicz wrote:

> Quoting Alan <horkana@tcd.ie>:
>
> > <rant>
> > Abi the Ant
> > and it even has its own (waste of space) page!
> > http://www.abisource.com/pr_abi.phtml
> > (image link broken, by the way. I have no intention of fixing it, after

> Abi has her own home directory - see http://www.abisource.com/~abi/ and
> IMNSHO, it is not a waste of space. I love the cute blue ant!

If the ant is called "Abby" then have i been mispronouncing "Ay-Bee"word
should it in fact be "Abby" word?

<evil>Where did i leave that magnifying glass?</evil>

> > I loathe the nasty little vermin, and i still want the orignal Abisource

Not a patch on Tux :P
I suppose it does make Abiword Personal that little bit more personal.

> However, that is reserved for official builds, and we won't be doing any of
> those in the near future, or at least until someone buys AbiSource from
> Sourcegear. As for other artwork, the pen is nice, but it won't be going in

Would some of those nice SourceGear people who lurk please please please
come forward and make an official build again soon? How about an
offical build for v1.0?

> > If we are going to get really hung up on iconography then a typewriter
> > would be more appropriate, its not like abiword can do anything like
> > stroke to letter conversion that Microsoft Office XP now has (theres an
> > ambitious project for someone, there is alreay a library called
> > libstroke which might make a good starting point).

> Hopefully abiword will do that too, shortly.

I look forward to seeing it.

> > loaded from "splash.png"? This would allow people to customize with out

> RMS has been working on this, but I don't think that he's made much progress.
> No one else cares enough to do it. Why don't you do it, Alan?

I think i already answered that when i said "Thank goodness for
-nosplash". There are other bits and pieces im working on and im always
bughunting and fixing where i can.