Re: Autotext for letters in a different language

Subject: Re: Autotext for letters in a different language
From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 19:55:31 CDT

 --- Dom Lachowicz <dominicl@seas.upenn.edu> wrote: >
Quoting Pierre Abbat <phma@oltronics.net>:

> > I am composing a letter in French, and it is
> marked as such, but the Abi
> >
> > menus are in English. I hit Insert|Autotext and
> pick a closing. It
> > inserts it
> > in English. Shouldn't it insert it in French,
> since that is the language
> > the
> > letter is in?
>
> Hrmm... you can feel free to file this as a RFE,
> though I might close it as
> invalid or wontfix. The default is to insert the
> strings in the same language
> as the menus, and I'm not sure that the correct
> behavior should be different
> from this. For instance, if the menu item I selected
> said "Hello" and I was
> writing a german document, I would personally not
> expect to see "Guten Tag"
> inserted into my document since I selected "Hello."

Dom, I think the correct "Just Works" fix would be for
the menu items to be dynamic. If the user changes the
language to German, it would make perfect sense for
these menu items to display "Guten Tag".
I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out harder to do
than expected though when taking into account the
details of Japanese, Unicode and the usual language
related yuck.
But I do think it's a perfectly valid RFE.

Andrew Dunbar.

=====
http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net