Re: Web Site Redesign

Subject: Re: Web Site Redesign
From: Randy Kramer (rhkramer@fast.net)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 09:46:11 CDT

Randy Kramer wrote:

> Phil Jones wrote:
> > "Abiword is a free lightweight word processing program under development
> > which can read and write Microsoft® Word documents. It is suitable for
> > typing papers, letters, reports, memos, and so forth."
> >
> > I think the key word is "lightweight", which means hopefully everyone will understand it has
> > the basic features.
> >
> > The other key words are "read and write MS Word documents". With luck this should mean that
> > everyone will expect it to normally store documents in its own native format, and also be able
> > to import / export documents in the MS Word format.
>
> Good, except writing Microsoft Word documents might be misleading as we
> can write .rtf, but not native .doc.
>
> Randy Kramer

One more thing -- maybe it should be "... read many MS Word documents,
and write to an MS Word compatible format..." -- the "many" because it
is certainly not all. (I could say "some", but on the assumption that
simpler documents are in the majority, perhaps "many" is not an
exxageration.

Randy Kramer