Re: Autotext for letters in a different language

Subject: Re: Autotext for letters in a different language
From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 12:28:44 CDT

 --- Dom Lachowicz <dominicl@seas.upenn.edu> wrote: >
Quoting Andrew Dunbar <hippietrail@yahoo.com>:

> > Dom, I think the correct "Just Works" fix would be
> for
> > the menu items to be dynamic. If the user changes
> the
> > language to German, it would make perfect sense
> for
> > these menu items to display "Guten Tag".
> > I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out harder to
> do
> > than expected though when taking into account the
> > details of Japanese, Unicode and the usual
> language
> > related yuck.
> > But I do think it's a perfectly valid RFE.
>
> God that's awful from so many standpoints. No, this
> is horrible and wrong
> behavior and won't be happening.

Hmm I can't see any awfulness from any standpoints.
Can you please describe them? Personally I find
autotext quite useless and simplistic anyway but for
those who do use it and do create multilingual
documents it sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
If there is such a thing as a multilingual church
secretary who uses autotext I dare say they may even
be confused.

So we have any multilingual people here who do use
autotext? What do you think?

Andrew Dunbar.

=====
http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net