Abiword under NetBSD and everything is mispelled!

From: Jeremy C. Reed (reed@reedmedia.net)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 11:59:08 EST

    All the words are underlined with red line. I keep a real dictionary at
    my side, so I know that not all my words were spelled wrong :)

    And when I use "Check Spelling" it shows all my words are mispelled and
    doesn't even show any possible replacements (other than "?").

    I installed abiword via NetBSD pkgsrc (using NetBSD pkgsrc
    editors/abiword/Makefile,v 1.44). This Abiword source is patched. The
    patches are available via CVS:
    http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/pkgsrc/editors/abiword/

    Abiword via pkgsrc depends on NetBSD package:
    ispell-base-[0-9]*:../../textproc/ispell-base

    I have ispell-base-3.1.20nb1.
    International Ispell Version 3.1.20 10/10/95

    My default ispell uses American English. And ispell works.

    (I have used abiword off and on for over two years; I can't rememeber if I
    noticed this before. I believe it may be NetBSD related; I did ask at a
    NetBSD forum but no ideas yet.)

    I want to continue to use "Auto spellcheck" -- but I want it to work.

    In the spelling Preferences, it has a choice "Suggest from main dictionary
    only" that is grayed out (and unselectable).

    And it has a drop down menus for "Custom Dictionary" that say "custom.dic"
    and "Dictionary..." that are also grayed out and unavailable. (So I am not
    allowed to try another dictionary.)

    Does anyone use or develop abiword under NetBSD?

    Any ideas on how to make the spell checking work?

    I saw a posting about everything underlined in red on this list from over
    a year ago.

    Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this?

    Thanks,

       Jeremy C. Reed
       http://bsd.reedmedia.net/