Re: Loss of enthusiasim for AbiWord

From: William Lachance (wlach@interlog.com)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 14:10:56 EDT

    On Monday 08 April 2002 08:21, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:

    > > Bryce's patch doesn't completely solve the problem. This sort of
    > > situation is still possible:
    > > (1) User doesn't have arial installed on their system.
    > > (2) AbiWord puts the (fake) Arial in the font path on startup.
    > > (3) User (for example) loads up a webpage in konqueror that uses Arial.
    > > Before, konqueror will fall back on Helvectica (which looks decent) but
    > > now it will use the Arial that is installed on the font path (which looks
    > > bad).
    >
    > I don't understand. The first step of my proposed solution is to remove
    > the fonts that are added under false names. AbiWord would do font mapping
    > internally, rather than externally. No other application would ever see a
    > false "Arial".

    I was referring to your (already applied) patch which adds the prefix zz to
    all abiword fonts. Do you have a patch which does internal
    font-remapping/substitution on Unix? Without this, simply renaming the
    AbiWord fonts would cripple the AbiWord's functionality (all fonts would map
    to 'times').

    Just trying to bring this discussion up to a higher level,

    Will Lachance
    wlach@interlog.com