Re: Loss of enthusiasim for AbiWord

Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 18:56:03 EST

    Yes, I'm frustrated *, but only because reasonable solutions don't seem to
    take any traction here.

    AbiWord pollutes the system font list in a number of harmful ways. At the
    same time, AbiWord developers complain about problems and
    inconsistency with the font system. The pot is calling the kettle black.

                            ----

    A very reasonable step for 1.0 AbiWord is to add fonts under only their
    true names (not false names), then implement a font substitution table.
    There is nothing half-baked about this. Half-baked is screwing up other
    innocent applications to benefit your own. Half-baked is implementing a
    font substitution table by adding false fonts to the system list. Half-baked
    is ignoring a substantial bug for dozens of months, and several release
    cycles. Half-baked is behavior that changes with the combination of currently
    running applications.

                            ----

    Bake AbiWord 1.0 fully, at least to the point where it is not detrimental to
    other applications, then, and only then, release it.

                            -Bryce

    * I'm pleased to hear that you are frustrated also. That's a step forward
    from a stance that ignores the seriousness of this issue, and plays a kingdom
    building game with denial or approval of bugfixes.

    PS: In case you refer to me your "expectations" document -- don't bother. I
    expect you to not screw up other applications. You're free to do whatever
    you want AS LONG AS you don't mess up other projects. The Linux community
    expects nothing less. You're vulnerable to a hammering from the rest of
    the community if this issue becomes more widely known, or gets slashdot
    visibility.

    Pierre Abbat wrote:
    > It used to be that anything in Courier Bold in kwrite would appear scrawny
    > and in the wrong width if I started kwrite while AbiWord was running. If I
    > exit Abi and kwrite and restart kwrite, the font looks fine. Now Courier
    > Bold looks scrawny no matter when I start it. What is going on, and
    > how can I fix this?

    The traditional solution is:
            rpm -e abiword