Re: Loss of enthusiasim for AbiWord

From: Sam Trenholme (abiword_bugs@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 05:46:46 EST

    > You're vulnerable to a hammering from the rest of
    > the community if this issue becomes more widely
    > known, or gets slashdot visibility.

    Here was my initial reaction to this: I was, like,
    majorlly ticked off. I felt like writing cuss words
    in big caps and posting it to the mailing list. I
    felt like flaming Bryce to a crisp and giving Bryce an
    "ano nuevo".

    However, civility has, hopefully, gotten hold of me
    and I, hopefully, will not do my own miniature version
    of the kind of idiocy that is going on in the middle
    east, where innocent people are being killed and
    innocent people are locked in their homes without
    food, water, or heating for no particular good reason.

    I have done a web search for Bryce Nesbitt on Google;
    it seems that he has a pattern of getting really
    attached to certain bugs that open source software
    has, and sometimes making a nusiance of himself over
    the bugs in question. I hate saying this, but Google
    paints a portrait of Bryce being someone who has not
    contributed much besides bug reports which he gets
    rather zealous about. To his defense, he has
    contributed some patches for AbiWord which minimize
    the impace of this particular bug.

    Keep in mind:

    * This bug does not affect anything if people have
    other Arial, Helevetica, etc. fonts installed.

    * The AbiWord fonts are in the font path only when
    AbiWord is running; when it is not running, the
    AbiWord fonts are not added.

    I had a much longer rant; which I have now deleted.

    I do respect Bryce for posting his opinions using his
    real name. I really think there should be a rule that
    people use their real name when posting to the
    internet unless there is a compelling reason to be
    anonymous.

    - Sam