Re: Loss of enthusiasim for AbiWord

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra (rms@1407.org)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 06:05:03 EST

    On Thu, 2002-04-04 at 11:46, Sam Trenholme wrote:
    > * This bug does not affect anything if people have
    > other Arial, Helevetica, etc. fonts installed.

    Not true, AbiWord-...-Arial comes before Adobe-Arial, for instance.

    > * The AbiWord fonts are in the font path only when
    > AbiWord is running; when it is not running, the
    > AbiWord fonts are not added.

    This is also not true.
    If you use xfs, you usually add font paths to its config. And the fonts
    rest there untill the end.

    If you haven't edited XF86Config-4 and add
            Load "type1" # Adobe Type 1 font handler
    to Section "Module", abiword won't even work (most distributers config
    through xfs, and leave commented out Type1 native support in the X
    server!)

    So, the user either is not a church secretary and will be able to do
    those things, or the user will use a config tool that will most likely
    change xfs's config, thus affecting all fonts in the system.

    This is an important bug and, IMHO, a showstopper. However, I'm not in
    the majority in here.

    Sam, in your configuration, maybe you do not experience this.
    Most experienced users know how to work around but most users do not.

    Hugs, rms

    + So let's do it...?