Re: UPX to compact executable?

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Sat Apr 13 2002 - 14:24:26 EDT

    YES

    http://matrix.netsoc.tcd.ie/~horkana/dev/abi/

    im fairly sure it is mentioned some where in the NSIS documentation
    http://www.nullsoft.com/free/nsis/

    compating the full installer is an extra effort, it would mean an extra
    requirement and someone would have to write the necessary extra makefiles.
    Extra complexity means extra things could go wrong.

    if you are going to write the extra necessary make files please write ones
    that will produce a compressed version of just the main binary (as opposed
    to the installer) as well.

    I will probably compress the main binary when abiword is released and get
    it put up on sourceforge for people who want abiword on a floppy
    (ideally we would also have a small dictionary and maybe one or two
    things on a second disk).

    ignore some of what i have written above,
    i realise now you are only talking about compressing the binary not the
    installer.

    I only think size matters in very specific situations.

    Hard Disk space is cheap and plentiful (especially relative to the size of
    abiword and any system capable of running windows in the first place).

    I dont want to introduce unecessary extra
    complexity, as i cannot predict the results, and there is still the
    problem of writing the necessary makefiles.

    Later
    Alan