Re: Newbie volunteer -- need some directions and help

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 14 2002 - 10:31:09 EDT

     --- Roshan Mathews <roshan@gamebox.net> wrote: > :
    Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 09:38:44 +0100 (BST)
    > : From: F J Franklin <F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk
    > : Subject: Re: Newbie volunteer -- need some
    > directions and help
    >
    > : 1. Although I was very experienced in C, I knew
    > : next to nothing about C++ so AbiWord has been a
    > : huge education for me.
    >
    > I know very rudimentary C++ ... so will to crash
    > through that too ...
    >
    > : 2. GTK+ - talk about jumping in at the deep end.
    > : Why do you want to learn GTK+? Just for AbiWord?
    > : or for some other project?
    >
    > I read that GNOME used GTK+ so I thought that I'd
    > learn
    > it before joining any project, now that I have
    > started
    > it I wouldn't be to happy to let it go half way
    > through. :-|
    >
    > : 3. You seem to have done documentation stuff in
    > : the past. Would you be interested in working on
    > : AbiWord's documentation? What languages do you
    > : speak?
    >
    > Actually I haven't done _any_ stuff before, what
    > made
    > you think that I had? Anyway, I really won't be able
    > do documentation ... isn't as interesting to _me_ as
    > writing code. I speak English, Hindi and Tamil but
    > can
    > write only English.

    We *really* need people working on Indian language
    support since it's very tricky and you really need
    some people that actually know the languages. But
    I'm guessing that you can't read these languages
    either? ):
    Pango/FreeType which we're about to use after 1.0
    makes Indian languages possible in AbiWord on all
    platforms.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com