Re: Newbie volunteer -- need some directions and help

From: Roshan Mathews (roshan@gamebox.net)
Date: Sun Apr 14 2002 - 03:26:33 EDT

      : Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 09:38:44 +0100 (BST)
      : From: F J Franklin <F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk
      : Subject: Re: Newbie volunteer -- need some directions and help

      : 1. Although I was very experienced in C, I knew
      : next to nothing about C++ so AbiWord has been a
      : huge education for me.

    I know very rudimentary C++ ... so will to crash
    through that too ...

      : 2. GTK+ - talk about jumping in at the deep end.
      : Why do you want to learn GTK+? Just for AbiWord?
      : or for some other project?

    I read that GNOME used GTK+ so I thought that I'd learn
    it before joining any project, now that I have started
    it I wouldn't be to happy to let it go half way
    through. :-|

      : 3. You seem to have done documentation stuff in
      : the past. Would you be interested in working on
      : AbiWord's documentation? What languages do you
      : speak?

    Actually I haven't done _any_ stuff before, what made
    you think that I had? Anyway, I really won't be able to
    do documentation ... isn't as interesting to _me_ as
    writing code. I speak English, Hindi and Tamil but can
    write only English.

      : I don't think it's possible, really. You are the
      : only good judge of your abilities. One thought,
      : however: since you do documentation work, would
      : you be interested in working on DocBook
      : import/export? There seems to be a lot of demand
      : for DocBook support but none of the developers has
      : had time to do it properly...

    Sure, I'll look at it. I'll the source by tomorrow, and Alan promised to
    help me wade through it, so I'll work on this. I have to learn DocBook
    though.

      : If you are up for this, I suggest doing it as a
      : plugin for the 1.0 release - after AbiWord 1.0 is
      : released the CVS sources will be changing rapidly
      : and this will be very confusing for everyone. If,
      : however, you develop plugins for AbiWord 1.0 you
      : don't need to use CVS at all, just get the source
      : tar ball for 1.0 and work from there :-) and all
      : those people who use AbiWord 1.0 will be able to
      : use the plugin.

    I'm pulling the 0.99.5 source from sourceforge ... is
    the 1.0 source totally different or is it built on
    this?? (ie can I get the 1.0 source but applying a
    bunch of patches to 0.99.5 or do I have to download
    another jumbo tarball??)

      : It's not really a question of "joining" the
      : project. Just get to know AbiWord, bit by bit,
      : submit the occasional patch, and once it becomes
      : clear that you know what you're doing then someone
      : will give you CVS access etc.

    Yes. OK.

      : Regards, Frank

    Thank you.

      : ps. If you feel like some topical insanity, hang
      : out on IRC :-)

    I don't stay online for very long. Maybe after June
    when I go back to college. :)