Re: Maintaining a 1.0 branch?

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra (rms@1407.org)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 05:44:13 EDT

    On Tue, 2002-04-16 at 09:15, Sam Trenholme wrote:
    > Just idle curiosity...is there any plans on
    > maintaining a 1.0.x branch which is 1.0 with bugfixes
    > and minor enhancments, while working on the 1.X and
    > eventual 2.X abiword releases, or is the plan to
    > devote all of the development effort making sure that
    > 1.2 and so on are the best possible post-1.0 releases.
    > I assume there will not be a special 1.0 branch. With
    > end-user open source software it is uncommon to have
    > bug fix branches; I think Mozilla is the only desktop
    > software I can think of which does this.

    I think that it is ideal to have a branch for 1.0.x, and only kill bugs
    that you can do more or less easily, and concentrate development on
    having the best of wp's out there.

    Mozilla's branch technique is good, and they have more manpower to
    triage bugs, so our 1.0.x branch would have probably less maintenance,
    but it's there as a milestone :)

    Plus, hubert said it is in consideration to use a new tree for post 1.0
    development, because there will be lot's of hard changes.

    I don't agree with this action, one of the advantages of versioning is a
    full historial of development, and seperating it in more than one tree
    breaks that, however, there could be other advantages (please tell us
    which).

    hugs, rms

    + So let's do it...?