Re: commit: abi: UTF8String class

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 12:44:43 EDT

    > Tomas, I think that you're confusing the intent of UTF-8 with UTF-7.
    > Can you explain where helps UTF-8 in the communication through 8-bit
    > channels? You can also send UTF-32 (or any other encoding) over 8-bit
    > channels, chopping each char in 4 bytes.
    UTF-8 strings can be passed through dumb processes based on
    the 8-bit C library; UCS-2 strings, for instance, cannot, because
    any leading nulls will be interpreted as string terminators; that's all I
    meant (I suspect this is responsible for the proliferation of utf-8 in
    the *nix world, because it allows to start using Unicode without
    having to rewrite the entire system).

    Tomas