Re: Pango? (was Re: commit: abi: UTF8String class)

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 22:17:08 EDT

     --- Leonard Rosenthol <leonardr@lazerware.com> wrote:
    > At 10:37 PM +1000 4/21/02, Martin Sevior wrote:
    > >By the way, glib2.0 (which we need for pango) has a
    > unicode variable which
    > >is is just type UT_uint32 and plenty of UT_uint32
    > <=> UTF_8 conversion and
    > >conveince routines.
    > >

    > I thought we weren't going to use Pango (too much
    > overhead,
    > and not enough gain) and just go right to FreeType
    > directly.

    I don't remember the exact arguments against Pango but
    we do gain a lot more than you might think. Pango is
    cross-platform and is an abstraction that will use
    Uniscribe on Windows and ATSUI on Mac as well as
    FreeType on *nix. Pango provides similar
    functionality
    to MS's Uniscribe. FreeType only provides the
    functionality that you get from OpenType/TrueType on
    Windows/Mac. This is big. You won't get proper
    rendering of Thai or Indian languages with FreeType
    alone. Sadly, the home page of Pango doesn't make
    much
    of this very clear at least to me. Do a Google search
    for Uniscribe or ATSUI to see what they provide that
    we will need sooner or later.

    I think the major argument we had against Pango was
    that it requires glib which we use on Gnome and maybe
    GTK builds but not the others. The Gnome guys don't
    see this as a problem since glib is cross-platform.

    I'd like to hear other people's opinions though.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    <http://www.lazerware.com>

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com