Re: undo and combining characters

From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (huftis@bigfoot.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 03:36:16 EDT

    Andrew Dunbar <hippietrail@yahoo.com> wrote in
    news:20020423032923.18748.qmail@web9606.mail.yahoo.com:

    > Combining characters are now possible with Unicode for
    > western languages but nobody is using them yet.

    Well, I have been using them for a few occations. Mozilla supports
    them, at least somewhat (it uses superimposing glyphs).

    >> As for undoing a decomposed character (e.g. e´), I
    >> think it's safe
    >> to undo all characters back to (and including) the
    >> last non-
    >> combining character. For example if you write e´
    >
    > Don't confuse your precomposed é above with combining
    > characters.

    I don't. If a document contains e´ (where ´ is a combining ´),
    pressing backspace should delete both characters, not just the ´.

    > Normalization is a different subject which mostly
    > comes into play with searching and sorting - it's
    > probably only going to be confusing to mention it
    > here.
    > Though maybe we do need to discuss whether AbiWord
    > should normalize all characters in its internal
    > representation...

    Since AbiWord uses XML as its file format, the document should
    (not must) be normalized according to Normalization Form C. There
    was some talk about making it a requirement for the next version
    of XML, cf. <URL: http://www.w3.org/TR/xml11/#sec2.13 >, but this
    will most likely not happen.

    --
    Karl Ove Hufthammer