Re: Pango? (was Re: commit: abi: UTF8String class)

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 10:28:03 EDT

    > Pango is also a *Hell* of a lot more than just freetype. There needs
    > to be a *lot* more work done than what Tomas has already done, and
    > this sort of thing is very hard to get right.

    I don't think that anyone questions that Pango is more than
    FreeType, and a great project, and I certainly have no intention to
    design another "Pango" just for AW :). The question you have to
    ask yourself though is whether AW can actaully make use of that
    "*Hell* of a lot more" that Pango provides over freetype -- I seriously
    doubt it; you can fit a rocket engine to a scooter, but you will not
    make any progress on your way to the moon. What AW can
    potentially handle is much less than Pango aims at, AW in
    comparison to that is so limited that I have to agree with Leonard
    that it is, at present, an overkill. Also, is Pango good engough, i.e.,
    can Pango do everything AW already does? For instance, how
    does it handle tabs? (I do not know, just a potential source of
    problems that immediately sprang to mind). And, did anyone
    bothered to consider other options? Is Pango really the best on
    offer, or is for most people the desire to use Pango ideological?

    > In my opinion, if we don't use UNISCRIBE or PANGO or ATSUI or
    > something similar, our plans for full internationalization is doomed
    > before it starts.

    I entirely agree, but before we start talking about full
    internationalization, let's do well what we already purport to do. At
    the moment we have real problems supporting even Latin-2
    languages on Linux! For instance, how would we print a complex
    Pango rendered text on Linux? Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

    Tomas