Re: Pango? (was Re: commit: abi: UTF8String class)

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 11:48:27 EDT

     --- Tomas Frydrych <tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net>
    wrote: >
    > > Pango is also a *Hell* of a lot more than just
    > freetype. There needs
    > > to be a *lot* more work done than what Tomas has
    > already done, and
    > > this sort of thing is very hard to get right.
    >
    > I don't think that anyone questions that Pango is
    > more than
    > FreeType, and a great project, and I certainly have
    > no intention to
    > design another "Pango" just for AW :). The question
    > you have to
    > ask yourself though is whether AW can actaully make
    > use of that
    > "*Hell* of a lot more" that Pango provides over
    > freetype -- I seriously
    > doubt it; you can fit a rocket engine to a scooter,

    Maybe we don't need everything but we surely need
    the Indic shaping!

    > but you will not
    > make any progress on your way to the moon. What AW
    > can
    > potentially handle is much less than Pango aims at,
    > AW in
    > comparison to that is so limited that I have to
    > agree with Leonard
    > that it is, at present, an overkill. Also, is Pango

    Again I want technical examples please.

    > good engough, i.e.,
    > can Pango do everything AW already does? For
    > instance, how
    > does it handle tabs? (I do not know, just a

    Surely we would use Pango only for rendering the
    straight "runs" of text. All formatting including
    tabs we would do ourselves.

    > potential source of
    > problems that immediately sprang to mind). And, did
    > anyone
    > bothered to consider other options? Is Pango really
    > the best on
    > offer, or is for most people the desire to use Pango
    > ideological?

    I want to use it because it can do Thai, Devanagari,
    and other Indian languages and because it took a long
    time for them to get it right even with Thai and
    Indian developers contributing. We don't have Thai or
    Devanagari working, we don't have the time, and we
    don't have the Thai and indian developers ):

    Furthermore, if Pango isn't perfect for us, we can
    surely work with the Pango and Gnome people. We are,
    after all the Gnome Word Processor. Gnome and us
    need each other. We should be working together more
    closely IMHO.

    > > In my opinion, if we don't use UNISCRIBE or PANGO
    > or ATSUI or
    > > something similar, our plans for full
    > internationalization is doomed
    > > before it starts.
    >
    > I entirely agree, but before we start talking about
    > full
    > internationalization, let's do well what we already
    > purport to do. At
    > the moment we have real problems supporting even
    > Latin-2
    > languages on Linux! For instance, how would we print
    > a complex
    > Pango rendered text on Linux? Let's not get ahead of
    > ourselves.

    How does the latest Gnome which uses Pango generally
    handle printing? Surely if pango can give us a shape
    to print on the screen it can give us one to print on
    a printer - but I don't know printers alas...

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com