Re: representing characters (was Re: A quick clarification please.

From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (huftis@bigfoot.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 11:25:00 EDT

    "Tomas Frydrych" <tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net> wrote in
    news:3CC57D83.3949.97D412@localhost:

    [Just some terminology clarification. I think it's important that
    we all use (and understand!) the same terminology, to avoid any
    unnecessary confusion.]

    > We should not need to do this. We hold the raw string of the
    > Unicode values, we pass that to the shaping engine, which
    > returns to us the shapped string + some additional information
    > about relationship between the rendered glyphs and the
    > original glyphs;

    I assume you mean 'original characters', not 'original glyphs'.

    > we use the rendered string to draw on screen
    > and the extra info to navigate. This would not be difficult to
    > do;

    No, it almost sounds to easy to be true! ;)

    But you're right, this is the way it should work. But line-
    breaking should not be the job of the shaping engine, right?

    > we already have the raw <-> rendered string mechanism in
    > fp_TextRun, all we need is to add the extra positional info to
    > be able to navigate strings where multiple codepoints map to a
    > single character

    You probably mean 'glyph' (or 'abstract character'), not
    character, here.

    --
    Karl Ove Hufthammer