Re: representing characters (was Re: A quick clarification please.

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 12:13:28 EDT

     --- Karl Ove Hufthammer <huftis@bigfoot.com> wrote: >
    "Tomas Frydrych" <tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net> wrote
    > in
    >
    > [Just some terminology clarification. I think it's
    > important that
    > we all use (and understand!) the same terminology,
    > to avoid any
    > unnecessary confusion.]
    >
    > > We should not need to do this. We hold the raw
    > string of the
    > > Unicode values, we pass that to the shaping
    > engine, which
    > > returns to us the shapped string + some additional
    > information
    > > about relationship between the rendered glyphs and
    > the
    > > original glyphs;
    >
    > I assume you mean 'original characters', not
    > 'original glyphs'.
    >
    > > we use the rendered string to draw on screen
    > > and the extra info to navigate. This would not be
    > difficult to
    > > do;
    >
    > No, it almost sounds to easy to be true! ;)
    >
    > But you're right, this is the way it should work.
    > But line-
    > breaking should not be the job of the shaping
    > engine, right?

    That depends whether Pango is designed to render one
    long line onto multiple screen lines. If it does we
    don't want Pango to do all that for us because our
    layout will be more complex. But if Pango has
    standalone linebreaking functions we can call, that
    will be very useful.

    I'm getting more and more to the opinion that Pango
    and AbiWord should be working together. Both to
    ensure that Pango doesn't become too tied to Gnome or
    GTK and that Pango actually provides the right APIs
    that a word processor needs. It's going to have to
    do it sooner or later or somebody's going to have to
    make something very similar to Pango that does work
    for word processors...

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com