Re: utf-8 vs. utf-32

From: Sam Trenholme (abiword_bugs@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 14:58:33 EDT

    > > And there is (AFAIK) *no* advantage to use UTF-8
    > over UTF-16.
    >
    > Memory usage for most western languages doesn't
    > count?

    I belive the list had this dicussion before. As I
    understand it (and, no, I haven't looked at the code
    myself), the overhead of having linked lists and
    pointers for AbiWord's internal representation is
    enough that it doesn't really matter if a single
    character takes up one or two bytes.

    If memory usage of the internal table which stores
    characters becomes an issue, one can always implement
    something with zlib which can drastically reduce the
    memory usage. Yes, this will make accessing the data
    in question more difficult, but, then again, so will
    using UTF-8.

    The main purpose of UTF-8 is to allow systems which
    assume 8-bit ASCII, such as UNIX filesystems, to use
    Unicode without needing to rewrite the code in
    question.

    My vote: Keep on using UCS-4; it is the most simple to
    deal with, and the memory usage is a non-issue.

    - Sam