Re: undo and combining characters

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 03:32:38 EDT

     --- Joaquin Cuenca Abela <cuenca@pacaterie.u-psud.fr>
    wrote: >
> [...]

    It would show the user that she is dealing with
    ligatures though. You're not always editing text that
    you entered yourself.

    > Other ligatures look radically different from the
    > original glyphs (arabic
    > have some of these). To take an occidental analogy,
    > put yourself in the
    > epoc before the ligature "&" (from the latin "et".
    > It's more visible using
    > the roman form of "&") become a character itself.
    >
    > Now, should abiword try to select the 't' of "&"?
    > (hell, what 't'? The
    > original glyph it's absolutely invisible in the
    > ligated glyph!)
    >
    > So I think that for some ligatures individual
    > selection of the characters
    > that build the ligature makes sense, and for others
    > no (it's only me, or all
    > that unicode stuff is starting to sound *REALLY*
    > hard?)

    It's not Unicode's fault - it's the world's fault for
    not just speaking American English d-;

    But hey, Word seems to work. I have no idea what
    Word does for the fi ligature and friends though.

    I'd guess that if it's entered as a precomposed glyph
    it will handle it as a single glyph. If it's entered
    as 'f' plus 'i' it will never convert it to a
    ligature.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com