Re: undo and combining characters

From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela (cuenca@pacaterie.u-psud.fr)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 06:00:06 EDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Andrew Dunbar" <hippietrail@yahoo.com>
    To: <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
    Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 9:32 AM
    Subject: Re: undo and combining characters

    > --- Joaquin Cuenca Abela <cuenca@pacaterie.u-psud.fr>
    > wrote: >
    > > The problem here is that some ligatures look
    > > "mostly" as the original glyphs
    > > (occidental "ff" "fi" "ffi" "st", etc.)
    > > Selecting the entire ligature here is VERY
    > > surprising behaviour for the
    > > users.
    >
    > It would show the user that she is dealing with
    > ligatures though. You're not always editing text that
    > you entered yourself.

    I don't agree. The user will only see that his "fi" are being selected
    atomically. I don't think that a church secretary will even know what is a
    ligature. And we should ligate f and i together to get the best possible
    typographie.

    One possibility is to not do these ligatures at the editing stage, and to do
    them in printing, but then we lose WYSISYG...

    Cheers,

    --
    Joaquin Cuenca Abela
    cuenca@pacaterie.u-psud.fr