Re: The preference file and plugins?

From: F J Franklin (F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 03:52:22 EDT

    I have been wanting to do this for a while; last Xmas I wrote an XML
    preferences method for some other software, even.

    Remember, there are an unknown/unknowable number of plugins, hopefully
    each having a unique name, so it would be best IMO to have separate
    "schemes" for each plugin:

    <AbiPreferences app="AbiWord" ver="1.0">
            [...]
            <plugin name="HTML-Export-1.0"
                    encoding="UTF-8"
                    images="inline"
                    [...]
             />
    </AbiPreferences>

    then plugins should be able to pick out scheme by name and edit if
    necessary.

    Frank

    On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Kenneth J.Davis wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > >From a plugin I can read and write stuff to the preference file.
    > Which scheme should I write my settings into? (I currently create
    > one for my plugin and maintain my settings in it, thus I don't have to
    > worry about my option names corresponding to AbiWord's, nor do
    > I have to change the currently selected scheme to access the values.)
    > I want to use the preference file, as I believe this will allow the
    > plugin to store information in a cross platform manner (that is, without
    > extra platform specific logic for where to place a configuration file
    > or using platform specific features such as the registry on Windows).
    >
    > What I am not sure of is mostly, should I
    > a) not be writing anything to the preference file or
    > b) using some other means than a prefsScheme or
    > c) write my settings to a _plugin_ Scheme using option names
    > prefixed with the plugin name (ie a scheme for all plugins to share) or
    > d) what I do now, unique plugin specific scheme or
    > e) something else?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Jeremy Davis
    > jeremyd@computer.org

    Francis James Franklin
    F.J.Franklin@shef.ac.uk

    "No, she really likes me. She told me I look like Britney Spears, and why
    would you say that to somebody you don't like?"
                                                               --- Elle Woods