Re: The preference file and plugins?

From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 17:23:41 EDT

    At 08:52 AM 4/24/02 +0100, F J Franklin wrote:
    >Remember, there are an unknown/unknowable number of plugins, hopefully
    >each having a unique name, so it would be best IMO to have separate
    >"schemes" for each plugin:
    >
    ><AbiPreferences app="AbiWord" ver="1.0">
    > [...]
    > <plugin name="HTML-Export-1.0"
    > encoding="UTF-8"
    > images="inline"
    > [...]
    > />
    ></AbiPreferences>
    >
    >then plugins should be able to pick out scheme by name and edit if
    >necessary.

    A few thoughts on this proposal:

    1. You probably don't want to include the version number in the plugin
    name. Subsequent versions of the same plugin should be able to inherit,
    infer, or ignore individual settings from earlier versions as needed.

    2. Should plugins be required to *export* their builtin values? I suspect
    not, as it just adds a bunch of complexity and clutter.

    3. Is there anything else we can do to minimize the impact of plugin
    preferences here? I'd hate to be gently chastised by Havoc twice in the
    same week. :-)

    Dom? Plugins are your baby. How do you think this should work?

    Paul