Re: ligature selections (was Re: undo and combining characters)

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 04:01:35 EDT

     --- Paul Rohr <paul@abisource.com> wrote: > At 08:41
    AM 4/24/02 +0100, Andrew Dunbar wrote:
    > > --- Paul Rohr <paul@abisource.com> wrote: > At
    > 03:54
    > >> To be clear, even divisions won't *ever* look
    > pretty
    > >> enough to reproduce in
    > >> a Unicode manual (except by accident). This
    > >> approach just gives clear
    > >> visual feedback that you only selected "a third"
    > of
    > >> the glyph. No more, no
    > >> less.
    > >
    > >I don't think the feedback will be as clear as you
    > >suggest in many cases. Arabic fonts tend to be
    > small
    > >and have skinny letters. It's hard to tell just
    > what
    > >is and what isn't selected.
    >
    > Point taken. Three responses.
    >
    > 1. Even a few pixels should be distinguishable.
    > For example, the mailer
    > I'm using has a single-pixel-width cursor. By
    > comparison, the cursor we use
    > in AbiWord looks beefy to me.
    >
    > 2. People use zoom. Especially when the @#$^%
    > fonts are too small. (Yes,
    > this assumes the availability of decent scalable
    > fonts for Arabic.)
    >
    > 3. Do such fonts actually exist? If not, recruit
    > someone to make some.
    > Please. We write software here. There's only so
    > much we can do. :-)

    The fonts that come with later versions of Windows
    have beautiful Arabic fonts, some of which are very
    readable even at small sizes. At least by me, an
    English speaker - they may all be readable at small
    sizes by native speakers. I don't know about the
    quality of existing free fonts.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com