Re: utf-8 vs. utf-32

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 11:22:07 EDT

     --- Tomas Frydrych <tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net>
    wrote: >
    > > > utf-32 more memory for most people.
    > >
    > > For *all* people. Almost all characters fit in
    > UTF-16 without
    > > using surrogates, and certainly all the most
    > commonly characters
    > > do. Surrogates will be very rare.
    >
    > I did not know that. In that case, I am not sure we
    > really want to
    > abandon the internal 16-bit representation at the
    > moment.

    Chinese names are the most important thing in the
    surrogate area. Without support for this area you
    cannot represent the name of the president of China!
    AbiWord should be the default word processor in China
    (:

    16-bit unicode is often referred to as "the worst of
    both worlds". Most companies or projects that
    implemented Unicode back when it was forever going to
    be 16 bits now have many headaches.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com