Re: undo and combining characters

From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (huftis@bigfoot.com)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 13:14:24 EDT

    Andrew Dunbar <hippietrail@yahoo.com> wrote in
    news:20020423111827.32208.qmail@web9605.mail.yahoo.com:

    > Normalization Form C means "fully composed"
    > characters

    Well, not always (Unicode 3.2), but you're basically right.

    > - I think fonts are currently rare that
    > would support all characters we need fully composed.

    Then the renderer should superimpose glyphs. Exactly how the
    abstract characters are written (pre- or decomposed) isn't
    important. E.g. if a font doesn't have an 'å' glyph, but an 'a'
    and a '°' glyph, the 'å' character could be displayed by
    superimposing these two glyphs.

    > I would think at this stage that a "compatibility"
    > normalization would be more suitable at this early
    > stage

    No, compatibility normalization *loses* important information.

    --
    Karl Ove Hufthammer