Re: undo and combining characters

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 21:31:18 EDT

     --- Karl Ove Hufthammer <huftis@bigfoot.com> wrote: >
    Andrew Dunbar <hippietrail@yahoo.com> wrote in

    news:20020423111827.32208.qmail@web9605.mail.yahoo.com:

    > > Normalization Form C means "fully composed"
    > > characters
    >
    > Well, not always (Unicode 3.2), but you're basically
    > right.
    >
    > > - I think fonts are currently rare that
    > > would support all characters we need fully
    > composed.
    >
    > Then the renderer should superimpose glyphs. Exactly
    > how the
    > abstract characters are written (pre- or decomposed)
    > isn't
    > important. E.g. if a font doesn't have an 'å' glyph,
    > but an 'a'
    > and a '°' glyph, the 'å' character could be
    > displayed by
    > superimposing these two glyphs.

    I was thinking about this too and I think it would be
    worth the work to support accented etc glyphs in an
    abstract way. So we'd do as you suggest and also
    vice versa: if the document specified 'a' + '°' but
    the font has no combining characters but does have
    'å'.

    > > I would think at this stage that a "compatibility"
    > > normalization would be more suitable at this early
    > > stage
    >
    > No, compatibility normalization *loses* important
    > information.

    If we agree that the "abstract character" model above
    is doable then I agree with you. It's a bit more work
    but I think not too hard and the benefits are good.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com