Re: New development plans

From: F J Franklin (F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 04:23:01 EDT

    On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Martin Sevior wrote:
    > HI Hub,
    > I actually liked your first idea of just forking abi to abi-1.2,
    > abiword-plugins to abiword-plugins-1.2 abd hiving development on the hEAD
    > branch of both of those. That way I can cleanly seperate both sets in my
    > local system and trvially do builds against the 1.0 module or 1.2 module.

    I like the abi-1.2 idea as well, especially since we're likely to be
    changing the directory structure and possibly renaming/moving a large
    number of files.

    We should probably start thinking about the directory structure.

    It would make me happy if we could have a clear hierarchy. At the moment
    some UT* include XAP* and/or GR*, and vice versa, whereas (I feel) it ought
    to be possible to have, e.g., UT* self-contained, GR* may use UT*, XAP* may
    use GR* and UT* etc. But is this an unreasonable expectation?

    For example, the encoding manager sits in XAP but, as other current
    threads attest, encoding is a fundamental part of AbiWord, and should
    probably sit in UT...

    One thing I'd like to add is an IO category.

    Finally, there has been talk of adding plugins to the main tree - how is
    this planned?

    Ciao, Frank

    Francis James Franklin
    F.J.Franklin@shef.ac.uk

    "No, she really likes me. She told me I look like Britney Spears, and why
    would you say that to somebody you don't like?"
                                                               --- Elle Woods